A Guide To Staying Safe In Your Home During Your Retirement

By on December 9, 2019
Staying safe

Now that you’ve retired, you want to settle back and enjoy your home however, it’s more important than ever to stay safe. Preventing fires, maintaining gas and electrical safety and protecting yourself from injuries in the domestic setting is vital. Many women over 50 end up in the emergency room every year due to domestic accidents and need help in staying safe. With this in mind here are some expert tips to ensure your retirement is a safe one. 

Preventing Fires

Fires start quickly, and they can cause a huge amount of damage however there are numerous easy changes you can put in place in your own home to make sure they don’t happen.

natural sunscreen with zinc oxide

By fitting a smoke alarm on every floor of your property, testing them regularly and keeping them free of dust, you can help to protect yourself from harm. It’s important to change the batteries annually, and get a specialist smoke alarm if you have vision or hearing problems. Make sure that you’ve planned a suitable escape route that you can take in the event of a fire, and ensure that all stairs, exits, and corridors are free of clutter. Always use a fireguard if you’ve got an open fire and make sure your chimney is swept once per year. When it comes to drying your clothes, avoid doing so near or over an electric heater or fire, and if you’re a smoker, ensure you always stub out your cigarettes completely.

Staying Safe In Your Kitchen

The kitchen can be a very hazardous place to be, however with some common sense and simple precautions, you can stay safe when you’re cooking. If you’re using your hob, ensure you don’t leave your pans unattended, even for a short space of time as this could result in a fire. If you’ve got a gas cooker, make sure you have your appliance checked once a year to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, the kitchen is a prime area for overloading of extension leads and electrical sockets. Never use a multiway plug for two appliances which use a large amount of power, such as washing machines and fridges as this could cause a fire.  Of course, it also goes without saying that you should always protect yourself from burns while cooking. Aprons, jackets and other chef attire examples will ensure that you stay safe from splashed fat or spillages of hot food. Burns can be extremely painful and can cause long-term problems, but it’s very easy to ensure that your arms and body are kept away from harm with the right protective clothing. 

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention

Any heater which burns wood, coal or gas can emit carbon monoxide fumes which are poisonous if the appliance stops working properly. This silent killer cannot be smelled, tasted or seen, but it has symptoms that are similar to flu, with headaches, nausea, breathlessness, and dizziness being common signs. If left unspotted, carbon monoxide can kill very quickly. Therefore, having a working carbon monoxide detector at home is essential. There should be one in each room which contains a gas appliance and it should be tested every month to ensure it’s in full working order.

Shop Cratejoy - The ultimate online destination for subscription boxes.

Taking Care Of Your Electronics

Electricity can be a hazard in the home, and an electrical shock can be very serious. Luckily, there are lots of things you can do to make sure that your electrical devices are safe. Check your electric power cords to ensure they aren’t frayed and are in good condition. When you’re using appliances, make sure to keep them away from any water sources to guard against electric shocks and take the time to unplug or switch off any appliances if your home is going to be unoccupied. Trailing leads and cords can be a trip hazard, so make sure you’ve stowed yours away carefully with no power cords in places where you could fall over them. You should also remember that electrical appliances can get very hot. Therefore, you should make sure that you keep them well away from anything which is flammable like wool carpets, curtains, and aerosols. 

By following these simple steps, it’s possible to stay safe in your home during your retirement!


About Living Better

LivingBetter50.com is the No.1 resource and magazine for women over 50 in the world with 500,000+ readers. LivingBetter50.com covers everything for a woman from “Beauty-to-Business” with our primary goal – To encourage women to live better physically, emotionally, financially, and spiritually!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

A Guide To Staying Safe In Your Home During Your Retirement