By Kelli Parisian–
Have you wondered why the products you used in your 30’s and 40’s aren’t giving you the results you desire in your 50’s? Simply put, we have different skin care needs as we mature.
Loss of elasticity and skin dullness are common complaints. Hyperpigmentation–usually sun related, Rosacea–redness, broken capillaries, under eye puffiness (bags!), and adult acne–hormonal, are all issues women over 50 can struggle with.
Here are 5 important tips to keep your skin at its best after 50.
1. Read your product labels – Be sure you are using skin care treatments that contain organic, high performance (plant based)botanicals. We all know organic foods are better for us. It’s the same with our skin care.
If the first ingredient on your skin care label is water–change products. Do you really want to spend your hard earned dollars on a product containing mostly water?
The ingredients on cosmetic labels have to be listed in descending order of weight. That means the first ingredient on the list generally makes up about 30%-90% of the product.
2. Cleanse and Exfoliate – After 50 our skin can be dry and dull. To perk your skin up, use a gentle botanical cleanser daily, and a exfoliating polish, 2-3 times a week. Polishes are essentially used to get rid of the dead skin cells from our skin. If not cleansed from time to time, these cells can clog pores leading to problems like acne. They also age the skin faster by blocking proper blood circulation.
*Important* -Please check the exfoliates you use for “Micro beads.” The beads from exfoliating personal care products and toothpastes, are washed down the drain after use, pass unfiltered through the sewage treatment plants and make their way into rivers and canals, resulting in plastic particle water pollution. Read which companies use them and why the Great Lakes are threatened.
3. For the most bang for your buck-Use a Serum -The molecular structure of a serum is designed for better penetration and absorption, and better efficiency in delivering the active (anti-aging) ingredients. Look for anti-agers Retinol, Peptides, DMAE, MSM, Hyalauronic Acids, Alpha-hyroxy acid, Alpha Lipoic, and high concentrations of Vitamin C in your serums. Remember, serums work best the longer you use them!
4. Moisturize Twice Daily– Always follow a serum with a good moisturizer. Moisturizers are thicker and seal serums into your skin. A good moisturizer will protect your skin from damage, especially if it contains SPF30. Choose a moisturizer according to your own skin type. If your skin is dry, look for hydrating ingredients like Hyalauronic Acid–water binder, with the ability to attract 100 times its weight in water. If your skin is sensitive, avoid parfums and fragrances in your moisturizer.
5. Yes, you need a Eye Creme too!- Here’s why: The under eye area is the first to show your age. The skin is more delicate and drier than the rest of your face. It’s also more sensitive. Have you ever used a product that caused your eyes to itch, get red, or tear up? What the eyes really need are antioxidants, and skin-repairing ingredients in soothing fragrance-free formulas.
Indulge your skin in Pure, Organic treatments and prepare to have youthful, healthy skin for decades to come! www.ParisiansPureIndulgence.